Sunday, September 30, 2007

Auditioning


Okay, day two. Auditioning!
I used the grid to guide the flower and petal block design you see here. It introduces a new vision of the block layout that adds a third dimension. I just love it when you see a quilt from a distance and you see one voice speaking to you through the fabric layout.

Then you step closer to the quilt and the thread suddenly introduces a completely new voice and idea. That is the "wow" factor for me.

I did a second petal design that is more fluid and loopy. It almost spins in place. My gut feeling is that it doesn't work with this quilt top.

The last variation I want to share with you is more of an all over meandering. It is a ribbon that is blowing across the top. I would need to add more ribbons but I like the idea of the ribbons intertwining and playing with each other. I even like the bright yellow color I'm using for thread. I've got some wonderful Caryl Fallert brytes thread in my machine right now. It would work great on this bright beauty!

I'm leaning towards the overall windy, windy ribbon right now. More auditions tomorrow.

I've got to live with a quilt for a bit to see how it speaks to me.

In the mean time, here is another quilt I'm working on for a new client. She has made a divine baby nines quilt that is just precious. I'm thrilled that I've got so much space and room to let the quilting shine through and add that extra dimension I mentioned above.

Here's the quilt with the grid lines laid out. Next step is to audition some designs.

No comments: