Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Baby Nines Audition part 1


Today I'm playing around with the baby nines quilt. As a reminder, here is the quilt top. I've already finalized what I'm going to do on the top but I wanted you to see the progression of the design process.

I love fluid lines layered on top of very geometrical shapes. With that in mind, I drew some curly windmills that would spin through the open white space. I like the movement but I don't think it elevates those nine patches that are on point. Plus, those white spaces are just crying out for a specific treatment to stand proudly in those open areas.


Here's another idea. I've drawn tear drop petals in the white spaces. It works and looks very nice. However, the next question is what to do with those nine patches. This pattern is a bit complicated to try to put on the nine patches too. It might get too busy.


Let's try it.

Well, it doesn't look like it would get too busy. At this point I've finalized that I want to use one block design in the white spaces with a smaller version over the nine patches. I don't know that this teardrop petal block is the best motif, however. This is a baby quilt so I'd like to incorporate some heart motifs

Maybe a block design repeated throughout but with the petals forming a heart instead. Yeah, that sounds right.

The sashing needs some work and then there is that massive white space dancing around the center of the quilt top.

That will be the next idea to work through.

No comments: