Thursday, September 27, 2007

First Step- find the grid



Take a look at this incredible quilt I've received to work on! Check out all those ribbons this quilter has on her design wall and she is just as impressive in person, too!

This top was made by a meticulous piecer who's work is incredibly precise. She made this top for a teen in foster care. She chose bright colors and fun fabrics. Her hope is that a bright, cheery top like this will help that teen during those inevitable down days.

My first instinct on a scrappy quilt top like this is to do an all over design. But first I place a grid on the quilt top to see if there are any secondary patterns I could tease out with some well planned quilting.

I import a photo into the computer and use a paint or photo edit program to draw on the photo. In this case, I used neon green and the straight line tool to draw my grid.

Next, comes auditioning quilt patterns.

No comments: