Thursday, March 20, 2008

Meow! A case study.




My client, Debbie D., made this great nine patch kitty quilt for a lifelong friend of hers.  She requested the "Quilter's Choice" level of quilting which includes one block design and one border design.  

I drew out some design ideas on my computer.  I really like using the computer to do a trial run so my clients can approve the direction I'm headed in.  

The design I came up with has flowers in the solid squares and continuous curves in the nine patch.  On the border I put swags with hearts.  But I thought it was too busy on top of the variety of fabrics she had as the "star" of her top.

So I played around with using long straight lines through the nine patches with a looped border treatment.  Again, it was too busy.  
My gut feeling was that this quilt really needed an over all, edge to edge pattern so the quilting could let the fabrics take center stage.  Plus, this treatment would mean a lower price for my client.

I sent Debbie an email with these choices laid out for her and my recommendation that she choice a lower priced quilting level for this particular top.  She agreed and chose the panto below. She was especially pleased that it also meant her anticipated cost would be lowered!  

I'll post a photo of the finished quilt soon!

No comments: