Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Design process for Applique Quilt



Take a look at this quilt top.  Isn't it beautiful?  It was made by my client's deceased mother-in-law, Nellie.  I'm so happy that I get to help finish it.  This is what I love about quilting.  It has the power to link generations. 

I wanted to share the design process for this quilt top.  First I import a photo of the quilt into Photoshop.  Then I start to play with my special tablet that allows me to draw on the screen with my pen.  My clients are then able to see the designs I'm proposing for their tops as the design process happens.  In this case my client likes my proposal and has given me the green light!

My plan is to outline the applique pieces on each block and add veins to the leaves and the stem.  Then for the large flower blossoms I will do a version of a feather wreath that f
ollows the inside blossom to give it shape.  The background of the blocks will be McTavishing. This is a time consuming background filler so I only did a small portion of it on my computer.  You'll have to imagine the rest of it done.

 The sashing will have interlocking arches and diamonds.  The outside border will accentuate the appliqued vine by using it as the spine for a feather.  Behind the feathers will be a double piano key treatment.  I've got to order thread that will match the blossoms exactly so I can't put it on the frame just yet.  But I'm dying to start on this top.  I even had a dream about it last night!

No comments: