Sunday, August 26, 2007

I'm told it is a salad dish.

Tonight I needed an oval, egg shape for a motif I was stitching on a challenge quilt for my online guild. I dug around in the china cabinet and came up with this weird glass cresent thing and it worked perfectly!
My mother informed me it is a salad dish designed to hug the curve of a dinner plate. Gotta love using something old for something new.

Generally I wouldn't do a motif as intricate as this on a scrappy quilt. However, I took the opportunity to play a bit. I had received a trial spool of variegated (multi-colored) thread called Lava from Superior Threads. It worked great with the hot colors in my prism quilt.

I used some muslin on the back and blue in the bobbin. You can clearly see all my stitches on the back. I designed the motif and everything was done freehand. Each block's motif was rotated 90 degrees so that they all interlock.

It was fun! Now I just need to put the binding on. I think I'll use a yellow batik since I don't have enough of the border fabric.

No comments: